Wednesday, July 30, 2008

23 Weeks

"Every good and perfect gift is from above."
James 1:17
This, among others, is a verse we have kept in mind during my pregnancy. It was particularly helpful at our last appointment in June. At that appointment we found out we are having a girl - what a good a perfect gift! It was a bittersweet appointment though because at that appointment the doctor dropped a bit of not so expected news. She said that according to the ultrasound done that day (the one where we found out the sex) it appeared that there could be a slight abnormality with the placenta and umbilical cord. There was a chance that the cord didn't quite implant into the placenta correctly, that it was sort of partially implanted. What?!
Again telling us she wasn't even sure if this was the case, she needed to go ahead and explain further just so we were aware of the potential situation. If there was an abnomrality with the cord insertion, she explained, pregnancy would be normal, baby and I would be healthy, there would be no problems...until labor rolled around. She said the problem would be that when my water broke, there would be the chance that the cord would break away from the placenta before baby was out. And that could turn into an urgent and scary problem.
The doctor left us with reassurance that she wasn't even sure I had this abnormality, not to worry, and that we'd do another ultrasound at the next appointment to check it out for sure. Now, of course I was sitting there wide eyed, hearing all of this and wondering "Is she looking at the right chart and ultrasound?" I was so thankful that Steven was with me that day, because it was a bit surreal.
So, where did we go from there? To the Father of course! Our Creator- the one who created me, Steven, and our baby. We recalled James 1:17 and knew that no matter what happened with that next ultrasound and with the birth of our child, she is and will be a good and perfect gift from above!
"And this is the confidence we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15
Everyday we prayed about the situation. We prayed ultimately for God's will in this, asked that there would not be any problems found on the next ultrasound, and prayed that we'd be faithful and trust in Him, knowing that God will take care of us.

So, on July 11 I went for my 24 week appointment (but scheduling around doctor vacation, it was really 23 weeks for me.) I can honestly say that I was not nervous or anxious; I was actually quite at peace. I knew Steven and I had prayed faithfully, that God is sovereign, and that the situation was out of my control.
As I had the ultrasound done I was laughing the whole time! Baby girl decided to be more active than she ever had been up to that point and I was loving it! The technician was frustrated with all of the movement because she couldn't get a good look at the cord and placenta due to little one kicking all over the place. She thought is was cute though and was laughing and talking to the baby trying to get her to be still. There came a point where I was like "Ok little girl, sit still because this ultrasound is really important...you can play later!" Apparently the tech got the pictures she needed so it was off to see the doctor.
That wait seemed like forever, but soon enough in she came. She said "We did a placenta check today and after looking over the pictures, I don't see any problems with the placenta or cord." I was thinking "Can you say that again? Are you sure that's my chart?" I asked her if she was sure about her conclusion and she said yes! She said that the cord is attached to the placenta as it should be, but just a little off center (center is apparently where most are) so that's why the ultrasound from last time looked a little questionable. Right there in the doctor's office I was like "Praise the Lord!!" I knew He was at work!
Steven and I were so excited to get the good news from the doctor, but even more excited about the way the Lord answered our prayers!! We knew that His will would be done no matter what the outcome, and were thankful that He made everything alright. "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God..." Deuteronomy 7:9

So, after that long drawn out story...everything is fine with me and baby and we are moving right along!

Baby Girl at 23 weeks



Mommy-to-be at 23 weeks

(Again, so behind on posts. Here I am writing about 23 weeks when I'm just about 26!)




4 comments:

Harris, Katie and Tucker Rhodes said...

We are so thankful you had a great appointment and ultrasound! Your little lady has definitely grown! We will keep you guys in our prayers as you prepare for your little girl! We love the updates!
Katie Rhodes

Stephanie Trapp said...

What a great testimony! God is good!

shellbell said...

We read the James passage before dinner last night, and I thought of your post. This is good news. I think your little one just wanted a bit more attention, as if she's not getting the most attention in the whole family these days. Can't wait to meet her.

MiMi said...

I'm so glad this blog is available. I was making cookies and wishing I could see how much you are showing. (It just occurred to me that there may be a psychological relationship there--cookies--growing belly--whatever....) Then your blog came to mind! (Isn't God faithful!) I delighted as read it (even though I already knew the outcome)for it encourages me to hear of your dependence on the Father. You and baby are growing! What a precious pic of baby!! Miss you all! Love, Mom S.